Introduction of Three SPE Cartridges’ Operation Methods
Operation of the reverse phase extraction cartridge
Extract non-polar samples from polar matrices
1. Activation: Rinse the extraction cartridge with 3-5 ml methanol; rinse the extraction cartridge with 3-5 ml deionized water (or buffer) and keep the extraction cartridge moist
2. Sample loading: Make the sample evenly pass through the extraction cartridge at a suitable flow rate
3. Cleaning: Use 5 ml of the solvent of appropriate polarity to elute the extraction cartridge. The commonly used solvents are water/organic solvent mixture, purified water, and buffer, and so on.
4. Elution: Use 1-5 ml of non-polar solvent to elute the tested sample to the collection container in batches.
Such as reversed phase C8 SPE cartridges, reversed phase C18 SPE cartridges,reversed phase C18A SPE cartridges.
Operation of Normal phase extraction cartridge
Extract polar samples from non-polar matrices
1. Activation: Take 3-5 ml of non-polar solvent to wash the cartridge.
2. Cleaning: Use 5 ml of appropriate non-polar solvent to elute and clean the cartridge of the adsorbed sample.
3. Elution: The test sample is eluted to the collection container in batches with 1-5 ml of polar solvent
Such as normal phase Silica SPE cartridges, Normal Phase PR Grade Florisil SPE Cartridges, Normal Phase Diol SPE Cartridges.
Operation of Ion exchange extraction cartridge
Extract charged samples
1. Activation: Use 3-5 ml buffer with low ionic strength or deionized water to rinse the extraction cartridge.
2. Sample loading: at a lower flow rate, the sample will evenly pass through the extraction cartridge
3. Cleaning: 5ml deionized water/or low ionic strength buffer to rinse the extraction cartridge
4. Elution: With 1-5 ml of high ionic strength buffer, eluted the tested sample to the collection container.
Such as Ion-Exchange SCX SPE cartridges, Ion-Exchange PRS SPE cartridges, Ion-Exchange PRS SPE cartridges.
The choice of solid phase extraction cartridge
Based on chromatographic adsorbents, the solid phase extraction cartridge can be roughly divided into three categories, which are based on silica gel, polymers, and inorganic materials.
Firstly, we will discuss the first one based on silica gel. The silica gel has a strong polarity and is weakly acidic. It can be used in two separation modes: normal phase or reverse phase: normal phase extraction. It has a good extraction effect on steroids and is usually used for the extraction of non-polar or weakly polar compounds or the removal of polar impurities. The common usages include medicine, blood samples, polypeptide desalination, organic acids in beverages and trace organic compound enrichment in environmental samples, and so on.
The second type is based on high polymers, such as polystyrene-divinylbenzene and so on. It has a high sample load, has excellent resistance to polar compounds, and has good retention capacity, as it is packed with high-purity, high-crosslinking styrene-divinylbenzene polymer as the stationary phase. It is usually used to retain hydrophobic compounds containing hydrophilic groups under reversed conditions, such as phenols, nitroaromatics, nitroamines, and nitrates, etc.
The third type is based on inorganic materials, for instance, graphitized carbon, Flori diatomaceous earth, and alumina, and so on. Florisil is a polar silica gel adsorbent compounded with magnesium oxide and its extraction cartridge can be used to adsorb polar compounds from the non-polar matrix; Graphitized carbon black (CARB) extraction cartridge has a very fast extraction process with graphitized carbon black as the filler. And the adsorption capacity for compounds is more than double that of silica gel. It is very suitable for the extraction and purification of many organic substances and is especially suitable for separation.
The product series provided by HAWACH include liquid chromatography cartridges, gas chromatography cartridges with complete fillers and complete specifications from analysis to the preparation involved in various food testing and drug testing, and sample pretreatment with complete varieties and specifications; chromatographic cartridge for detection, complete set of equipment for purification system and various fillers; at the same time, HAWACH also provides consumables of various conventional laboratory consumables, such as syringe filters, filter membranes (including sterile membranes), sample vials and pipettes and various analysis and testing instruments.