Description of Extraction Principle, Main Features and Technical Characteristics of C18 SPE Cartridges
What Are SPE Cartridges?
Many types of solid phase extraction cartridges are available and we can choose them based on the analysis object, detection method, and laboratory conditions. We should consider the extraction capacity, the volume of the sample solution, the final volume of the solution after elution, and the total amount of analytes and interferences in the sample solution. Today, we will discuss the extraction principle, main features, and technical features of C18 solid phase extraction cartridges.
Extraction principle of C18 SPE cartridge
Solid phase extraction is a separation technology that combines selective retention and selective elution. When a complex sample solution passes through the adsorbent, the adsorbent will selectively retain the target and a small number of components with similar properties to the target through polar interactions, hydrophobic interactions, or ion exchange, while other components are transparent. The adsorbent flows out of the small column, and then another solvent system is used to selectively elute the target, so as to realize the separation, purification, and enrichment of complex samples.
In the process of solid phase extraction, both “Retention” and “Elution” are affected by three factors: target, adsorbent, and solvent. For a given target, select the appropriate adsorbent and sample Solvents and elution solvents are the key to a successful separation.
The C18 solid phase extraction cartridge is a physical extraction process including liquid phase and solid phase. In the process of solid phase extraction, the adsorption force of the solid to the analyte is greater than that of the sample base liquid. When the sample passes through the SPE column, the analyte is adsorbed on the surface of the solid packing, and the base liquid of other sample components passes through the column. Afterward, the sample is eluted with an appropriate solvent to separate, purify or concentrate the sample. Use octadecyl silica gel as a filler to retain non-polar compounds through a strong hydrophobic effect.
The non-polar surface of the C18 solid phase extraction cartridge is modified. It can retain strong polar compounds such as phenols. Due to the large particle size of the filler, the stationary phase facilitates the passage of viscous or particle-rich water-soluble samples. At the same time, its high specific surface area and strong hydrophobic effect ensure high recovery and reproducibility of elution. The filler can retain most of the organic matter and is widely used in the environment, food safety, and other fields.
Main features of C18 SPE cartridge
●The whole solid phase extraction device is made of transparent plexiglass with strong corrosion resistance.
●The wall thickness is uniform, so it can withstand high negative pressure, and it will not be deformed after long-term high-pressure use.
●Even pressure is applied everywhere, with good air tightness and strong stability.
●With consistent extraction speed, it is easy to control and adjust.
●Multi-channels can be independently controlled, and the joints are corrosion-resistant.
●The internal test tube rack of the product is made of PTFE, so it has high corrosion resistance.
Technical characteristics of C18 SPE cartridge
1. The operation is simple, one person can process 1~8 samples at the same time, which greatly improves work efficiency;
2. Good consistency of extraction speed, convenient control and adjustment, good sealing, and strong stability;
3. The user-friendly design is adopted, and each channel pipeline is equipped with the original factory mark, and the direct connection can be realized through the mark, which saves time and effort;
4. The chassis structure is convenient for maintenance, equipped with extraction working software module, multiple output modes, and computer connection operation can be selected;
5. Multi-channel, small column joints are resistant to corrosion by acids, alkalis, organic solvents, and oxidants;
6. Using high-precision numerical control technology motor, low energy consumption, low noise, and more precise speed control.